Last updated on February 27th, 2018 at 10:31 am
Sewing Gift Guide! Need a gift for someone who wants to learn how to sew? Here’s a gift guide with everything they’ll need to get started.
Do you have someone in your life who wants to learn how to sew? Or maybe you want to learn yourself and you’re wondering what you should ask for this Christmas. Whether you’re sewing clothes, quilts, home decor, or anything else, this sewing gift guide is full of my favorite sewing tools that you’ll find helpful when getting started!
My Sewing Gift Guide Favorites:
- Sewing Machine: the Brother CS6000i sewing machine is a great starter machine—it’s easy to use and has lots of options, and it’s priced really well at $145.
- Fabric Scissors: there are a lot of good options out there at all price points, but my favorite pair is Havel’s Mirco-Serrated Scissors. I use mine more than any other pair of scissors I own. And I own a lot of scissors.
- Iron: pressing is key to good sewing. This Sunbeam iron is a great choice, plus it has one of my favorite features—a retractable cord.
- Seam Ripper: We all make mistakes, so you’ll need a seam ripper. I like the SeamFix because it’s both a seam ripper and a thread remover.
- Pins: I like glass-head or pearlized pins. Plastic head pins may melt if you run over them with an iron.
- Rotary Cutter: Rotary cutters are most often used by quilters, but I find I use it any time I cut a straight line, even with clothing patterns. So much faster than scissors! (I also use it to cut paper and other materials.) If you get a rotary cutter, you’ll also want to get a cutting mat and a ruler!
- Tape Measure: If you’re going to sew garments, a tape measure is a must!
- Hand Sewing Needles: Even if you do most of your sewing by hand, there always seems to be finish work that you’ll do by hand. A set of hand sewing needles in various sizes means you’ll always have what you need.
- Wonder Clips: Wonder Clips are my secret weapon. I use them all the time instead of pins—and you’ll never prick your finger on them! They aren’t a must-have, but they are definitely one of my favorite tools!
Check out these other great gift guides!
Unique Gift Ideas for Kids from Cutesy Crafts
Great Gifts for Dad from unOriginal Mom
Gift Ideas for the Crafter on your List! from Tori Grant Designs
10 of the Best Gift Ideas for a Seamstress from A Vision to Remember
15 Great Gifts for Travelers from Play. Party. Pin.
Best Gifts for the Serious Crafter from illistyle
Gift Ideas for Crocheter and Knitters from Whistle and Ivy
Gift Guide for Crafters from Little Red Window
Gift Guide for PreTeen Boys from Keeping it Simple