Last updated on February 13th, 2019 at 01:29 pm
This simple but delicious Instant Pot vegetarian chili tastes like it simmered all day in your slow cooker, but it’s made quickly in the Instant Pot! Hearty quinoa and beans and plenty of vegetables means this dish can stand on its own for dinner. Leave off the cheese and it’s vegan!
We’ve been trying to do Meatless Mondays for a while now. My husband grew up a vegetarian, but I am a full-blooded carnivore because I get really hangry without protein — and lots of it. So I’ve been trying to find more and more hearty, easy recipes that will fill our family’s bellies in a healthy way that won’t break our budget. I’ve been making Cooking Light’s Quinoa and Roasted Pepper Chili for a long time now. It’s my go-to vegetarian meal if we’re having people over who don’t eat meat (this happens more often than you’d think with a family full of Seventh Day Adventists!).
I wondered if I could speed up the process for this recipe and make a few other changes to make it ready for the Instant Pot. I was a little afraid that it was going to lose some of the flavor from the roasted peppers — instead of roasting them they just get sautéed in the pot. But I didn’t miss it at all. This vegetarian chili is flavorful and filling and the perfect dish for Meatless Mondays.
This chili does carry a little heat, but it’s not very spicy. If you want it less spicy, you could leave out the poblanos or a little of the chili powder. The cheese (or sour cream) can also help cut the heat a little. But really, my whole family eats it happily.
Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili
Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili with Quinoa
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced large
- 2 red bell peppers diced large
- 2 poblano chilis diced large
- 3 zucchini diced large
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup quinoa uncooked
- 1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes 15 oz can
- 1 can pinto beans (or other white beans) 15 oz can, rinsed
- 1 can V-8 12 oz
- Turn the Instant Pot onto "sauté." Heat the oil in the pot and add the diced onion. Sauté until the onion starts to get soft, 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the peppers, chilis, and zucchini and sauté until they start to soften, an additional 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Mix in spices and sauté for 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
- Add in the remaining ingredients. Close the Instant Pot and set pot to "Manual." Make sure the vent is closed and set timer to 10 minutes. The Instant Pot will pressurize, cook for 10 minutes, and then beep. Using a towel, the knob to release the pressure (be careful!). Serve with cheese!
One of the things I really love about this recipe is that if you leave the cheese off (or use non-dairy cheese), this recipe is vegan. There is some question on whether or not V-8 is vegan, but from what I could tell, most vegans wouldn’t have a problem eating it (please don’t kill me in the comments about this — remember, full-blooded carnivore here!).