Last updated on March 6th, 2019 at 03:49 pm
This easy weeknight dinner, Polska Kielbasa Casserole with Peas and Rice, is real comfort food, and perfect for potlucks!
Like most parents, my dad and mom had a repertoire of recipes they would make when we were kids. Things that they knew we liked, that were easy to make, and that filled our hungry growing-kid bellies.
One of these was Polska Kielbasa Casserole with Peas and Rice. I don’t know where this recipe came from, but it was a staple on our dinner table. To this day, it’s my favorite comfort food. It’s rich and creamy and the Kielbasa is just a little sweet.
And super easy to make as well!
It’s also a great casserole to take to potlucks — I’ve never brought any home afterward since people gobble it up!
- 1 cup rice + 2 cups water
- 16 oz frozen petite peas
- 1 lb kielbasa
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1/3 cup milk
- 4 slices white cheese
- Cook the rice and water using your preferred method (rice cooker, on the stove, etc.), until rice is done.
- While the rice is cooking, brown the kielbasa and onion together in a skillet, draining off the fat once cooked.
- Cook the bag of frozen peas, either on the stove or in the microwave. Drain.
- In a large casserole dish, combine the hot rice, kielbasa, onion, and remaining ingredients, and stir. The cheese should melt and the celery soup and milk will warm up.