Today is a bit of a different day here at Let’s Eat Grandpa. I’m joining along with more than 100 bloggers to talk a little bit about self-image and why we, as women, are always trying so hard.
Colbie Caillat started the conversation with her recent song and video called TRY. My blogging friend Megan of Brassy Apple wanted to push this movement along and invited women from all over to share what they looked like without makeup and I joined along. Colbie’s song says, “Take your make up off. Let your hair down. Look into the mirror at yourself. Do you like you? Cause I like you.”
Megan and her friend Cobi of Peacefrom6pieces have been the team behind this whole project. Their vision included creating their own video inspired by the song TRY. The talent of Robbins Creative made it possible for them to do it. Click play and see the beauty and bravery displayed by a handful of bloggers.
Now a bunch of blogging women from different backgrounds, religions, ethnicities, ages, shapes, and sizes have decided to be brave and beautiful too! You can join in this movement by sharing what you look like without makeup on. You don’t need a blog either! Just tag your photo with #IamBraveAndBeautiful on Instagram and search the hashtag to see who else has joined in. If you tag it with a second hashtag — #ColbieTRY — we just might be able to get Colbie Caillat’s attention since she was the inspiration behind it all!
Are you brave and beautiful? I am –and here I go!
Here is my headshot. I use it everywhere online. My talented wedding photographer Jessica Stout took it for me one afternoon. I had spent that day getting ready for it. Chose a shirt I loved, had my makeup done by a friend, and actually went to my stylist to get my hair done. Then I stood in a field for half an hour while Jess shot a bunch of photos. It was quite the production. I tried, and tried, and tried to make myself look as good as possible for the shoot.
And then I was asked to share a naked-face photo for this post.
It was hard. I’ve talked about my own personal journey about my self-esteem before. It’s hard for me to not try so hard. It’s hard for me to feel like I’m beautiful without a bunch of make-up, hairspray, and, let’s face it, Photoshop. But what drives me to understand my beauty outside of all those things is the thought of my future daughters. Of my friend’s daughters. Of future nieces. Of every little girl I know out there who doesn’t think she’s beautiful without trying to look like she’s straight out of a magazine.
It breaks my heart to hear young girls talk about themselves like they aren’t the beautiful, worthy, little images of God that they are.
So I try my best not to think about myself that way. Because I’m a daughter. I’m a niece.
I was made in the image of God and I am beautiful.
Don’t stop here. Get clicking around — it’s a blog hop! Below are more brave and beautiful women bearing more than their natural beauty. They each have a little bit of their heart to share with you. Some get very personal. Some share stories. For some this was very hard to do yet they gathered their courage and did it anyway. We hope as you click around you will feel the importance of it, the empowering effect it has and that it encourages you in some way.
* * * Important: Blog hops often have glitches the first day. If the link has an error, simply click on the home button for each site, or google the blog name next to the link and you should see their brave and beautiful post there. Links will be updated as soon as possible.* * *
1. BrassyApple 2. Peace from 6 Pieces 3. Is this Really My Life 4. Among the Young 5. Love Me Dani Marie 6. Sweet Charli 7. Kim Orlandini 8. XO, Ashton Tilton 9. She Calls Me Mama Leisha 10. Raising Memories 11. A Little Tipsy 12. Amy Cornwell 13. A Girl and a Glue Gun 14. My Craftily Ever After 15. Maybe I Will 16. WhipperBerry 17. Paging SuperMom 18. All Things Thrifty 19. Ashlee Marie 20. The Project Girl
21. One Little Momma 22. Entirely Eventful Day 23. Diary of a Brown Eyed Girl 24. Tips from a Typical Mom 25. Utah Sweet Savings 26. Flats to Flip Flops 27. One Krieger Chick 28. What Meegan Makes 29. Simply Kierste 30. Live to be Inspired 31. HoneyBear Lane 32. Pretty Providence 33. Ma Nouvelle Mode 34. MomEntity 35. Serger Pepper 36. Kiki and Company 37. Girl Loves Glam 38. Thrive
39. The Potters Place 40. Crafting in the Rain 41. Cooking With Ruthie 42. Delineate Your Dwelling 43. The Pennington Point 44. Bakerette 45. The Happy Scraps 46. Shannon Baird Photography 47. Tried and Tasty 48. Lionesses at the Gate 49. Fry Sauce and Grits 50. Lolly Jane 51. That’s What Che Said 52. Sugar Bee Crafts 53. Your HomeBased Mom 54. Happiness is Homemade 55. The Crafted Sparrow 56. R&R Workshop 57. I Should Be Mopping the Floor 58. Sassy Steals
59. Let’s Eat Grandpa 60. Being Spiffy 61. Sumo’s Sweet Stuff 62. Ginger Snap Crafts 63. Bless This Mess 64. Apronista 65. Dreaming About Someday 66. Frenchie 67. Tastefully Frugal 68. Four Marrs and One Venus 69. Your Sister Circle 70. Over the Big Moon 71. See Vanessa Craft 72. Infarrantly Creative 73. Family StoryTelling
74. Albion Gould 75. Life as Mrs. Larson 76. Tried and True 77. Play.Party.Pin. 78. Bite of Delight 79. Ink Happi 80. ObSEUSSed 81. U Create 82. My Mommy Style 83. Find it Make it Love it 84. The Contractor Chronicles 85. Novae Clothing 86. Mommy Makes Things 87. At Home with Sweet T 88. We Like to Learn As We Go 89. House for Five 90. Organize and Decorate Everything 91. Sassy Southern Gurl 92. The Creative Mom 93. Keep Moving Forward with Me
94. The Benson Street 95. Mom 4 Real 96. Sowdering About 97. illistyle 98. The Crafty Blog Stalker 99. A Fiery Red Life 100. Cupcakes & Crowbars 101. One Sweet Appetite 102. My DayLights 103. Restless Risa
104. Sypsie Designs 105. Vintage Mother 106. Like Mother Like Daughter 107. 30 Handmade Days 108. Queen Bee and Me 109. Apples by Ashley 110. Boutique Cafe 111. Just My Little Mess 112. Bombshell Bling 113. Sarah Tyau 114. Taradara Make it 115. Capturing Joy 116. Ivory Lime Photography 117. Jenkins Kids Farm 118. Free Time Frolics 119. Bella Storia 120. Dana Ohlsen Photography
Also follow our Bravery and Beauty PINTEREST board for more inspiration!
TODAY’S TOP TEN POSTS
- How to Make Tissue Paper Flowers Four Ways 1,184 views
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid While Painting Cabinets 689 views
- 10+ DIY Dreamcatcher Tutorials 311 views
- How to Keep Your House Tidy Without Really Trying 193 views
- How to Use the Cricut Tool Set 184 views
- 20+ Stunning Paper Flower Tutorials 176 views
- Vinyl Pantry Labels – Free SVG Download 149 views
- DIY Outdoor Wedding Games 139 views
- Address Christmas Cards using your Cricut Explore 121 views
- Easy-Sew Curtains 114 views