Want to learn more about the 2014 Directive? Visit Kate & Trudy for more information!
In August, I had the goal of doing a bunch of blog stuff I didn’t really want to do. I made progress on my goals, but didn’t complete many of them because something exciting happened and life got in the way!
We bought a new house!!
When Ryan and I got married, we moved into his halfplex. We’ve spent the last year sprucing it up, including a complete gut job on the kitchen. We had plans to buy a new place in a few years, and rent out this halfplex and someday pay it off and have it as an income property.
Then I randomly came across an online listing for a house about a mile from where we live now. Drove by it, and the agent was standing on the driveway so I got to tour it. Loved it. Died when I saw the yard (the “yard” in our halfplex is the saddest ever). Ryan saw it the next day. Put in an offer the day after that. Offer accepted the next day.
That was a week and a half ago. Lives. Changed.
While neither of us is really ready to leave our halfplex that we’ve worked so hard to fix up, we couldn’t pass up the new house. It ticked all our boxes for a new house — that YARD!! (pool, patio, raised beds for a garden, space for chickens, and a freakin’ zip line), a fourth bedroom for an office / guest room, open concept vaulted ceilings, laundry inside, it’s on a quiet court — perfect for future kiddos. And with property values going up around here, there’s a good chance we wouldn’t be able to afford this house in a couple years. So we jumped.
And it was built in 1989 and it’s NOT been updated. Which, to me, makes this house SO MUCH FUN. I love me a good project. Lots of projects. MAKE ALL THINGS PRETTY! And blog every single bit of the process — get ready! Is it scary that I’m already raring to go on a new kitchen renovation? Ha! I do love me some DIY! Goodbye BROWN!
That’s what’s happening around here. My goal for September is to daily work toward the goal of being in our new house and having our halfplex rented by the end of the month.
My September Directive
This month is all about preparing for our big move. My goals HAVE to be completed — there’s just no way around it.
- Get the rental ready. We have a number of repairs and fixes to our halfplex to get it ready to rent. Most of them are small things — putting in blinds, fixing a broken soap dish, a little painting. We also need to install our kitchen backsplash.
- Get the halfplex rented. To qualify for our loan, we must get a renter secured. We’re working with a property management company to do this, so I don’t expect it will be a problem (we are in a super-desirable part of town). But I need to stay on top of it to make sure it happens.
- Pack, pack, pack. Since Ryan works full time, it’ll be up to me to get most of our house packed up and ready to move. Thankfully, we’re only moving about a mile — but I’d rather have it all organized than just thrown into cars and driven over.
- Move. This is self-explanatory and if all goes well, will happen Sept 20 or so. I can’t even, life.
- Be good to myself. I know this is going to be a hard month. It’s only been three weeks since my surgery and though my healing is going remarkably well, I’m still supposed to stay off my feet as much as possible. I need to make sure during the hustle that I am taking time to rest each day, ice my foot, do my exercises, and get enough sleep. I have a feeling it’ll be a little emotional — all that work plus leaving the first home Ryan and I shared that we put so much work into. Must be good to myself this month!
Past Directive Reports
August 2014 “Eat that frog”: Here’s how I fared on my goals:
- Update all the categories on my blog. Nope. Didn’t touch this one.
- Create tracking documents. Created and maintained about half the documents I wanted to use.
- Get my accounting back on track. Contacted an accountant friend and we’ve set up a consultation next week to get me going on this properly.
- Start my newsletter. Yes! My first newsletter went out on the 15th. You can sign up using the bar at the top of this page!
- Keep growing my social media. Reached my goal of 5000 total social media reach between Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. In fact, I’m at 5621!
July 2014 “The goal is to grow”: I finished all the goals I had set for this month!
June 2014 “A bit of bloginization”: I finished all the goals I had set for this month!
May 2014 “Changes to my plate”: We’ve been eating a lot of Paleo freezer meals since my surgery, which is good. But I could still do better when we’re not eating at home.
April 2014 “A digital detox”: I need to do this again. I’m already finding myself addicted to my technology. Ugh.
March 2014 “Get back on my feet”: Still working on recovering from my second surgery at the beginning of the month, but it’s been gloriously easy — very little pain, no swelling. I am so thankful for this!!
TODAY’S TOP TEN POSTS
- How to Make Tissue Paper Flowers Four Ways 1,233 views
- 10+ DIY Dreamcatcher Tutorials 368 views
- Easy-Sew Two-Hand Casserole Pot Holder 198 views
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid While Painting Cabinets 189 views
- Shark Week: Corner Shark Bookmark 181 views
- The Best Meat Sauce Ever 164 views
- 12 Ways to Get the Fixer Upper Look at World Market 149 views
- How to Use the Cricut Tool Set 129 views
- Scottish Thistle QAYG Block 121 views
- Easy-Sew Curtains 114 views