I’m making clothes! Other than a few aprons and helping my mom sew costumes, this is one of the first projects I’ve tackled that’s not flat like a quilt. You don’t have to fit a rectangle! But I figured I had enough sewing skillz to attempt the Washi by Made by Rae. I opted for the tunic instead of the full dress, mostly because I only had enough fabric for the tunic, but also because I am more likely to wear a tunic than a dress.
Though after making the tunic, I will definitely attempt the dress at some point!
I started out by making a muslin, which seemed to fit pretty well as it was designed (even though I usually wear a small in ready-to-wear, I went with a medium for the Washi based on my measurements). Other than my very long torso, I tend to be fairly evenly proportioned on top, so the fit didn’t seem to be much of a problem. The tunic was long enough as drafted — I didn’t need to add extra to compensate for my torso.
The fabric I chose for the tunic is Rashida Coleman Hale‘s Koi “It’s a Plus” voile, and it has a fabulous feel. It will be perfect for the long, hot California summer. Voile is the next best thing to naked, I swear.
Because this was my first Washi, I didn’t do anything special. It’s not lined, it has none of the cute bells and whistles of the expansion pack. I just wanted to make sure I could sew the basic tunic before attempting more.
I wouldn’t say sewing the Washi was difficult, but there were a couple places that tested my sewing skills. The first was the elastic thread for the shirring in the back. I’ve never sewn with elastic thread, so I didn’t know what in the world was wrong (thankfully I was using a scrap before trying it out on the real tunic!).
Instagram to the rescue! I posted a photo of my spaghetti thread and instantly people had a ton of things for me to try. It turned out there’s a notch in my bobbin that I was missing when I threaded my bobbin (figured it out thanks to this tutorial that someone recommended). Re-threaded it carefully, and I was able to do the shirring properly (pardon my chalk lines)!
The other was the bias tape in the sleeves. I must have torn out the first sleeve three times before I got it right — so many tucks and having parts-that-weren’t-meant-to-be-sewn getting stuck in my sewing. I went suuuuuuper slowly on the second sleeve and did it perfectly on the first shot. Whew!
Other than these two bits, the rest wasn’t difficult. I opted to top-stitch the facing, but I’ll probably understitch it next time.
Overall, I’m thrilled with how it turned out! It fits pretty much perfectly, though I have to wear a tank underneath because it’s a little sheer (lining to the rescue on the next one!). I am definitely going to make this one again, although I’ll probably try some of the other techniques or add-ons. I’m in love with it!
I also have to give mad props to people who sew clothing all the time. I felt so awkward being a model! Thanks to my friend Noelle for snapping these for me.
TODAY’S TOP TEN POSTS